[OPE-L:3430] RE: Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: equalisation of profit rates

From: Chai-on Lee (conlee@chonnam.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 22:19:48 EDT

Dear Paul,

I think you are right.
To avoid dual socially average rates of profit, it should be excluded from the determination of the social rate of profit.
But we have still a problem. What should it be then?
It would be a social overhead capital. But it is owned privately by individuals.
Like money. Money is a circulation machine that facilitates a social metabolism, in which sense it is a social overhead capital. But it is privately owned by individuals.
In conlusion,
(1) The banking capital should be disregarded in calculating the socially average profit rate.
(2) But the profits on the banking capital is a deduction from the social surplus value.
(3) The running costs of the banking capital (office expenses, some salaries of office workers, etc.) is a deduction of surplus value in its final analysis but this requires another mediation (like pure circulation costs).

Yours, thanks.

Chai-on