[OPE-L:3701] Re: Re: Fred M's interpretation

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 17:42:39 EDT

Reproduced below Fred's is recent post giving detail on Fred's
notion of 'adjusting for capital gains'.

Fred,

This adjustment is quite clearly crucial, especially on your reading,
whereby 'ADJUSTED' dM is the main focus of Marx's book.

You say that capital gains (losses) are due to 'changing asset
prices'. I must confess that I don't understand this idea. I speculate
that you really mean adjusting for changing technology from the
point in time that capital is advanced to the point in time of the sale
of the final product. I guess, also, that the idea is connected with
Marx's early ruling out of exchange as a source of surplus value
(chapter 4, or 5, I can't remember which). I am probably horribly
wrong. But it would seem crucial that you clarify the idea (at least
for me - it may be obvious to everyone else).

You mentioned in your post (3685) that Marx's method is different
to mathematical models with exogenous and endogenous
variables. You linked this to the procedure of taking as 'given'
variables which are to be explained later, and you related this to
Hegel. I am very intrigued! I think that you need to make the
clarification requested in the above paragraph in order to justify
these intriguing propositions!

Many thanks,

Andy