[OPE-L:4473] adding up theories of price

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 03:14:20 EST

Allin,

even if I have failed to convince you of anything at this point, I do
hope that you will consider the implications of the famous Ricardian
critique of Smith's adding up theory of prices which had allowed for
the greater payment for (direct and indirect) labor to result in
rising total prices, rather than falling profits (see TSV II). You
have the expertise do so.

You are clearly doing a Smithean thing. After the equalisation, the
relative prices of Depts I and II rise; since their output is the
input for the system,

total cost (price) rises; then you just tack on the same old surplus
value, so that RISING COSTS ALONE HAVE CAUSED RISING PRICES
(1000>875) though the value of the output (the indirect and direct
labor which it embodies) has remained unchanged since in the
transformation we alter only the outward price appearances of this
system.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how Bortkiewicz, Sweezy and
you could think that in Marxian terms rising costs in themselves
could result in rising prices.

A few weeks ago in private correspondence, I suggested that you were
ensnared in an adding up theory of price. I simply think you are
evading the issue by dismissing my own argument as tautology.
Whatever the faults of mine, yours surely has no basis in Ricardo or
Marx.

You are not alone. Consider Duncan's example. After the equalisation
of profits, the price of steel rises relatively; he then transforms
the steel input and thereby modifies cost price upward to which he
adds on the same old value added, resulting in higher total prices
again simply from higher costs alone since in his example as in yours
the value of the output has not risen.

It seems to me that both you and Duncan are implicitly assuming an
adding up theory of price since you both allow for a rise in costs
and costs alone to engender rising prices.

Well you may say then that ditching the adding up theory of price
will only mean that in the transformed system the sum of profit is no
longer the same as the sum of profit in the original tableau.

I would be happy if we could carefully probe into why this
mathematical result obtains and whether it in any way undermines the
thesis that the profit which is appropriated derives entirely from
the unpaid newly added value by labor.

Yours, Rakesh