[OPE-L:4587] Re: Re: Re: reply to Fred (1)

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 01:05:59 EST

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your last two posts.  There are several points I would like to
respond to, but this post will focus again on the key paragraph on
pp. 264-65 of Volume 3 that you continue to emphasize as  "unequivocal"
textual evidence to support your interpretation.

This paragraph begins as follows:

"The development given above also involves a modification in the
determination of a commodity's cost price.  It was originally assumed that
the cost price of a commodity equaled the value of the commodities
consumed in production.  But for the buyer of a commodity, it is the price
of production that constitutes its cost price and can thus enter into
forming the price of another commodity."

You interpret these sentences to mean that the magnitude of the cost price
changes from the value of the commodities consumed in production to the
prices of production of these commodities.  I interpret these sentences to
mean that what changes is not the magnitude of the cost price, but Marx's
explanation of the determination of a given fixed cost price.  This given
fixed cost price is first partially explained as equal to the value of the
consumed commodities, and then more fully explained as equal to the price
of production of these commodities.

I have argued my interpretation is supported by explicit statements in
each of the previous three paragraphs - including the "missing
paragraph" discovered by Alejandro R. - in which Marx said that the COST
PRICE IS THE SAME for the determination of both the value of commodities
and the prices of production of commodities. Marx also said the same thing
in Chapter 12 of Volume 3, in one of his "supplementary remarks" (p. 309).

I have also argued my interpretation is supported later in the same
paragraph in which Marx calls the cost price a "given precondition".  It
seems to me that a "given precondition" does not change.

What I had not realized until I reread this paragraph tonight is that,
after Marx called the cost price a "given precondition", he went on in
this same paragraph to say again in effect that the COST PRICE IS THE SAME
for the determination of both values and prices of production.

Please notice how many times Marx says in the following five sentences
that "THE cost price of a commodity" or "ITS cost price".  There is no
hint that there might be TWO cost prices - one in terms of values and the
other in terms of prices of production.  Rather, THE SAME cost price is
first related to the value of commodities and then to their price of
production.

Marx said (emphasis added):

"THE cost price of a commodity is a GIVEN PRECONDITION, independent of
his, the capitalist's, production, while the result of his production is a
commodity that contains surplus-value, and therefore an excess value over
an above ITS cost price.  As a general rule, the principle that THE cost
price of a commodity is less than its value has been transformed in
practice into the principle that ITS cost price is less than the price of
production.  For the total social capital, where price of production
equals value, this assertion is identical with the earlier one that THE
cost price is less than the value.  Even though it has a different meaning
for the particular spheres of production, the basic fact remains that,
taking the social capital as a whole, THE cost price of the commodities
that this produces is less than their value, or than the price of
production which is identical with this value for the total mass of
commodities."

Marx does not say in these sentences that the magnitude of the cost price
changes, but rather that THE SAME COST PRICE is first compared to the
value of commodities, and then is compared to the price of production of
commodities.  This is especially clear in the last three sentences about
the total social capital.

Therefore, I argue that my interpretation of the sentences at the
beginning of this paragraph is supported, not only by what Marx said in
the paragraphs immediately preceding, but also in the rest of the very
same paragraph.  Rakesh's interpretation, on the other hand, is
contradicted by all this surrounding textual evidence.

Furthermore, I have argued that my interpretation is further supported by:

1.  numerous passages (which I have documented in several papers) in which
Marx explicitly stated that the initial M in the circulation of capital
(M-C ...  etc.) is "presupposed" or "postulated" or "taken as given" or "a
given precondition", etc.  This initial M that is taken as given is the
cost price of commodities.

2.  many more passages (also documented) in which Marx stated that the
total amount of surplus-value is not affected by the distribution of
surplus-value, including the equalization of profit rates across
industries.  This key premise of Marx's theory is contradicted by Rakesh's
interpretation, according to which the cost price changes as a result of
the determination of prices of production and consequently the amount of
surplus-value changes in the opposite direction.

So, Rakesh, I agree that the three sentences that you emphasize could be
interpreted as you do.  But I hope you will also agree that these
sentences can also be interpreted as I do.  And it seems to me that the
surrounding and related textual evidence strongly supports my
interpretation.

Rakesh, where else do you think that Marx said that the cost price changes
as a result of the transformation of values into prices of production?

Thanks again.

Comradely,
Fred