[OPE-L:4879] Re: RE: Re: Give us some NUMBERS, Fred! (was: rent and theworking class)

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 22:16:38 EST

re 4878

>What's at issue here is Fred's claim that, according to his
>interpretation, "prices of production change if AND ONLY IF there
>is a change in the productivity of labor
>somewhere in the economy."  To investigate the truth-value of that
>claim, I postulated "a change in the productivity of labor
>somewhere in the economy" and asked him to show that his
>(simultaneously determined) "prices of production change."  (He
>will not be able to do so.)  Do you see some other way the
>truth-value of his claim can possibly be ascertained?  I don't.

Andrew, I know we had a blow up fight about this once.

Let me assure that I speak with no rancor.  Fred won't allow for
simultaneous determined prices as a result of the macro element of
his interpretation. That is, he takes the prices of the inputs as
given and then only after calculating the mass of sv and the average
rate of profit does he arrive at prices of production which then
serve as long term or center of gravity of prices (though I agree
with you that this idea should have no place in Marx's inherently
dynamic theory).

Now Fred clearly says and argues that this makes his interpretation
incompatible with the Sraffian one--why is he wrong? I don't follow
your argument. In fact I don't think you made one.

Second, Fred can't begin with a physical system (and that's obviously
because of the monetary element of his interpretation with which I am
in agreement) and then solve for identical output and unit prices of
production. So how could you have asked him to solve the equations
from the physical system which you gave him?

Alejandro and Fred reach an agreement on the criticism of dualism;
then you ask him to solve a problem set up in the dualistic
framework. It makes no sense to me..

>I'll just point out again that it is not I, but Fred, who has
>claimed that he "maps" technology onto prices of production (or
>vice-versa).  I'm just investigating the truth-value of that
>claim.

Andrew, Fred makes no such claim as I understand him. Can we have
chapter and verse please?

Yours, Rakesh