[OPE-L:5118] Fwd: Re: productive labour

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 06:50:55 EST

Subject: Re: [OPE-L:5117] productive labour
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:04:07 +0000
From: Paul Cockshott <paul@cockshott.com>

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> I am surprised that Paul Cockshott would treat arms production as
> unproductive labour, because it is a clear case of private commodity
> production for profit, which stimulates the general process of social
> reproduction, even though the final goods produced do not re-enter the
> production process elsewhere.

I think there is evidence that capitalist countries like the UK and the US
which spend a relatively high proportion of their gnp on arms have a
lower long term growth rate than other capitalist countries that spend
a smaller proportion of GNP in that way. This

The duke of Atholl maintains the only remaining private feudal army
in Europe - the Atholl Highlanders. They and similar feudal retainers
were the original target of Smiths polemic against unproductive labour.
I do not believe that they would become productive were he to form
them as a mercenary company 'Atholl Highland Soldiers Plc.', owned
of course by his lordship, and then use the revenues of his estate
to hire them to guard his castles.

The juridical form of the labour can not transform something that is
unproductive to something productive.

"A man grows rich by employing a multitude of manufacturers: he grows
poor by maintaining a multitude of menial servants.
The labour of the latter, however, has its value, and deserves its
reward as well as that of the former. But the labour of the manufacturer
fixes and realizes itself in some particular subject or vendible commodity,
which lasts for some time at least after that labour is past."

This is true of the duke of Atholl, and it is true of a nation as a whole.
If a nation maintains a large military establishment, a large part of
its best engineers are involved not in the design and production
of capital goods but in the production of machines which do
not constitute capital. This slows down capital accumulation in
those countries. The person hours spent on Trident submarines
and aircraft carriers are hours not spent modernising the means of
production.

--
Paul Cockshott, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
0141 330 3125  mobile:07946 476966