[OPE-L:5353] Re: the bursting bubble and the U.S. working class

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 08:32:18 EDT

I agree with Jerry that workers savings--either in "collectivised form" in
pension/superannuation funds or via direct "investment" in the market--have
played a key role in this boom.

This does make it different to 1929, but not so different to 1987. I can't
cite US figures, but I know that in 1983, 30% of Australian superannuation
funds went into the stock market. By 1987, that figure was 70%. Gee, isn't
it amazing that the market boomed from 83-87? -:)

However, even compared to 87, there is more widespread ownership of shares
this time round than ever before. The apparent wealth this has generated
has probably also weakened what little working-class solidarity there was
in America. Of course, something completely different could happen as the
wealth effect unwinds when the market goes seriously into reverse (and it
has barely even started on that route yet, in my opinion).

The truly outstanding thing about this boom, from my Minskian perspective,
is the level of debt which accompanies it. Even if you focus only on
private/non-financial corporation debt (i.e., personal and corporates), the
debt to GDP ratio now exceeds 145%. That is its highest level in
history--the 1929 ratio, for comparison's sake, was estimated by Irving
Fisher at 60%.

This implies that when the asset bubbles finally burst (I say plural
because there is an important bubble in real estate, which is arguably
feeding the stock market bubble), many people will find themselves with
unsustainable debt levels--especially if they are thrown out of work as a
result of the crisis, and completely lose their cash flow. But even those
who stay employed may well find themselves unable to finance debt
commitments, or managing to pay the mortgage but watching their equity fall
as their houses lose value faster than they repay their debts.

I think the working class will be very badly affected by the crash. Those
who have trusted the system and bought the spiel that they should invest
for the long term are the ones who are most likely to hang onto their
shares till the bitter end. In 1929, those people saw their shares slump
over 90% in 3 years. I don't think the fall in the general market will be
quite that big this time around--more like a 50% fall from its peak (though
the Nasduck could well fall over 90%, from above 5000 to below 500). But
they will suffer this as well as suffering falling home values and
effectively huge mortgages, so that rather than having saved for their
futures, they will have negative assets as they approach retirement age. I
think such people would have every right to feel swindled by the system,
and there is likely to be strong pressure to restore social security to
meaningful levels as a result.

As for employment, again my Minskian standpoint leads me to expect that the
level of unemployment won't rise to anything like Great Depression levels,
since government spending will provide at least some cash flows to slow the
rate of bankruptcies. But levels of 15%, sustained for up to a decade, are
quite possible. And of course, current US employment rates seriously
understate the real level of unemployment anyway--so the effective, real
level could be closer to 20% for a seriously long time, about as long as
Japan has been in the doldrums (and that's now over a decade).

There will undoubtedly be some "smart money" speculators who helped
encourage the boom, and bailed out before the bust; but a lot of corporate
and high society America bought its own bullshit over this bubble, so there
are likely to be lots of suffering middle class people--and some high
profile suicides too--when the whole thing unravels.

At a political level, I think the time is better than it has been in
decades to get genuine social reforms onto the agenda once more. Reform, in
capitalism, always seems to come after crisis.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer