[OPE-L:6412] 'my theory of value'

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 09:42:16 EST

Re Steve K's [6408] et al:

Interestingly, in Marx's last writings, he refers not to the
'labor theory of value' (which as we have discussed
previously with Paul Z was not an expression that he
used) _or_ the 'law of value'. Rather, in his 11/8/82 and
12/4/82 letters to Engels and in the "Marginal Notes on
Adolph Wagner's 'Lehrbuch der politischen Okonomie'"
her refers simply to 'my theory of value' (there is a
reference to the 'laws of value' in the 'Marginal Notes'
but it is a play on words relating to the laws of the
bourgeois state -- see p. 45 _Theoretical Practice_,
Spring 1972, for both quotes).

This raises the question -- what was Marx's _last_
reference to the 'law of value' (in terms of the date that
the reference was authored)?

Another question might be: of what significance (if any)
does his later choice of 'my theory of value' have?

Finally, one could ask in reference to Marx's theory
whether the expression  'Marx's theory of value' is superior
to either  the LTV or LOV or both?

In solidarity, Jerry