[OPE-L:6519] Re: "Obstacle" to pluralism "removed"

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 17:10:04 EST

The following is a verbatim copy of a response I sent directly to Alan
Freeman, coupled with a request that in the interest of pluralism he
forward my response to his entire (deleted) distribution list.

Response to Alan Freeman's post entitled "Obstacle to pluralism removed":

1)  Alan is of course entitled to his opinion, but his representations,
both in the current post and the one that preceded it, are quite one-sided.
 There is another side to the disagreement referred to in the formal
statement that Alan appends, but I believe that it is neither useful nor
legitimate to pursue the matter.  One thing I can say is that Alan's claim
that "the appeal [Andrew Kliman] requested was never granted" is
demonstrably false.

2) I urge all readers of Alan's posts to read the joint statement Alan
appends very closely.  If they do, they will see it does not support his
representations.  In particular, the statement speaks of a
"misunderstanding" (a bilateral condition), rather than of any "false
charges" (a unilateral condition), as he alleges.  Furthermore, the
statement speaks of a "belief," but makes no claim one way or the other as
to whether this belief was justified.  Correspondingly, and quite contrary
to Alan's representation, the statement is not itself a "retraction."

3)  With respect to his broader charge that the RRPE editorial board has
obstructed pluralism in leftist political economic scholarship, I deny it
categorically.  I responded in detail to a similar assertion made earlier
on the OPE-L discussion list, and my response was never addressed.  I
reassert the four points made earlier:

A)  The "evidence" adduced by the critics cannot plausibly be read as
supporting the claim of obstructing pluralism.

B)  To the contrary, the overall portfolio of papers accepted and published
in RRPE indicates active support for pluralistic approaches to leftist
political economy.

C)  RRPE's submission review procedure incorporates a number of
protections, certainly more than in the procedures used by most journals,
against arbitrarily negative individual reviews of submissions.

D)  Furthermore, the makeup of the RRPE editorial board, and the procedures
for electing Ed Board members, actively discourages the consolidation of
any given "party line" on leftist scholarship, as even a cursory glance at
the list of Board members for the last ten years will reveal.

Sincerely,

Gil Skillman