[OPE-L:6737] Re: imperialism

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 17:27:35 EST

Re Rakesh's [6735]

> , what about rentier states, in particular the Gulf States,
> and the US struggle to control the disbursement of rent, i.e. channel
> it into arms purchases, global covert operations and T bill
> purchases? Is this an economic or non economic form of exploitation?
> Or is it exploitation, strictly speaking, at all?

Since you've asked  short questions for a big topic, I'll  suggest  short
answers:

"Profit is theft".

Is it?

If it is, then surely surplus value must be theft as well, right?

Now if you were to receive stolen property from someone
else that would not change its character as stolen property, right?

By the same token if there are classes (like landlords) that live
off of the surplus value produced by others even though they received
that surplus value as payment from capitalists rather than workers,
it is still theft.

Similarly, if there are other global mechanisms that redistribute surplus
value  then these are both economic and exploitive.

OK, I realize that the above isn't the whole answer, but what is wrong
(if anything) with the above reasoning?

In solidarity, Jerry