[OPE-L:7595] Re: Value of information

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 18:45:56 EDT

Paul writes

>What is the value of information?
>
>More particularly what is the value of software?

Depends on what you mean by "value."  If you mean it in the traditional
Marxian sense, then the answer is immediate, as immediate as the
accompanying inference that embodied labor time has very little if any
relevance to the determination of market prices for software or other modes
of commercial information provision.  Here's the problem as I understand
it:  in a commodity market populated by large numbers of profit-maximizing
producers facing strictly positive, non-decreasing marginal (and thus
average) costs of production, the price of a commodity would tend to get
determined by the interplay of market demand and marginal cost of aggregate
production.  [N.B.:  the typical assumption of fixed-coefficient technology
poses no special problem in defining marginal costs, though one does have
to be careful to specify the "margin" at which capitalist firms are assumed
to be operating.]   If we add the condition of free entry and exit, then
this intersection must occur at the point where marginal cost just equals
average cost of production (where the latter includes a "normal" rate of
profit, or, in a Marxian context, the average economy-wide rate of profit,
however determined).

But the problem with information is that, once it is created, the marginal
cost of supplying it to additional consumers is (virtually) zero.  Given
some strictly positive cost of creating the info in the first place,
marginal cost of supply must thus always fall below (declining) average
cost, implying that the good cannot be supplied under the competitive
conditions described above; price = marginal cost (= zero, or thereabouts)
always implies a *negative* rate of profit.

The capitalist solution to this has been to encase information in
"intellectual property rights" so that what is being bought and sold is not
the information per se, but the limited *right* to gain access to that
information.  Thus the market price is not driven by marginal costs of
production in the standard sense but rather the level of demand for the
information in question.  I thus agree with Jerry (I just checked his
incoming, which appeared as I was writing this) that the market price of
information, or information embodied in software to speak more
specifically, essentially corresponds to a rent.  Furthermore it can, under
the logic of capitalist markets, *only* correspond to this, if this market
is to be reproduced; under the conditions indicated above, (a) marginal
labor values diverge from average labor values, necessarily; (b) market
competition in the absence of enforcement of "intellectual property rights"
would drive prices down to reflect marginal, rather than average, labor
values (or more generally, costs of production), and thus (c) the market
would self-destruct under competitive conditions.

In other words, the supply conditions for information land us in the
territory Marx attempted to cover in K.III, Chapter 10, and as I tried to
explain in a much much earlier post, he alas made a complete, incoherent
hash of that analysis.  But hindsight says it wasn't his fault--labor value
theory just isn't equipped to cope with the case of zero-marginal-cost
supply.

For what it's worth,

Gil