[OPE-L:7698] Gabriel Kolko: Another Century of War?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:33:52 EDT

Another Century of War?
by Gabriel Kolko

List Price: $15.95
Our Price: $11.17
You Save: $4.78 (30%)

Product Details

     * Paperback: 144 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.47 x 7.68 x 6.38
     * Publisher: New Press; ISBN: 156584758X; (September 2002)
     * Amazon.com Sales Rank: 23,146

Book Description
The definitive condemnation of America's reckless foreign policies,
by "the foremost modern historian of war" (The Guardian).

Another Century of War? is a candid and critical look at America's
"new wars" by a brilliant and provocative analyst of its old ones.
Gabriel Kolko's masterly studies of conflict have redefined our views
of modern warfare and its effects; in this urgent and timely
treatise, he turns his attention to our current crisis and the dark
future it portends.

Another Century of War? insists that the roots of terrorism lie in
America's own cynical policies in the Middle East and Afghanistan, a
half-century of realpolitik justified by crusades for oil and against
communism. The latter threat has disappeared, but America has become
even more ambitious in its imperialist adventures and, as the recent
crisis proves, even less secure.

America, Kolko contends, reacts to the complexity of world affairs
with its advanced technology and superior firepower, not with
realistic political response and negotiation. He offers a critical
and well-informed assessment of whether such a policy offers any hope
of attaining greater security for America. Raising the same
hard-hitting questions that made his Century of War a "crucial"
(Globe and Mail) assessment of our age of conflict, Kolko asks
whether the wars of the future will end differently from those in our
past.

About the Author
Gabriel Kolko is Distinguished Research Professor Emeritus at York
University in Toronto. He is the author of Anatomy of War and Century
of War, both available from The New Press.