[OPE-L:8010] Re: Re: Robert Brenner

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 16:27:31 EST

Brenner has been gadding about, he was at SOAS in London 2 November and
various places in UK after.

Here he has faced severe and extensive criticism eg in two issue of
Dialectical Materialism no's 4 and 5. At SOAS it was all very friendly, but
he had few allies.  He is not regarded as a 'Marxist' by most ( excluding
the eccentrically enthusiastic introduction to his NLR article in 1998 by
Perry Anderson) although his strong 'liberal' ideas are well recognised.

He seems to do his best to avoid the issue of the day - Imperialism. So too,
did most of the panel at SOAS except Weeks in a general sense. From the
floor only Hillel Tickton and David Yaffe took up Imperialism and what Marx
was really concerned with... revolution.