[OPE-L:8016] prospects for the US and international capitalist economy

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 08:47:48 EST

In [8014] Andy wrote:

> There are were too many issues going on at once in the SOAS
> thing but Brenner's data on the most recent magnitude of the US
> non-financial corporate profit rate does stick in my mind -- it dipped
> to its lowest level for 19 years in 2001.

Much of that data is in the following article, from July/August 2002:
http://www.3bh.org.uk/IV/main/IV342/IV342%2009.htm

Brenner projects that  over the medium term there will probably be
"stagnation/slow growth,  or even worse"  for the US economy.

Listmembers will recall that there was a thread last Fall on the
current recession in the US economy. At the time former listmember
Patrick M argued that the US economy could be expected to
rebound by the 1st Quarter of 2002.  Fred was not convinced.
A year later we now see that those like Patrick who expected an
expansion in 2002 were mistaken.  The underlying question that Brenner
offers one answer to is: 'why?'.  WHY hasn't the US economy
rebounded as anticipated and what does that tell us about the next period
for the US and the international capitalist economy?

What effect would a possible war with Iraq -- which 'GW' seems to be
hell-bent on launching -- have on the US economy in the short-term and
over the long-term?

In solidarity, Jerry