[OPE-L:8391] Re: Electronics and Value

From: OPE-L Administrator (ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 11:40:17 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Davis" <jdav@gocatgo.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Electronics and Value (for OPE-L list)

[Please consider posting this to the OPE-L list, in response to 8340. I
screwed up and left some of another message the first time I sent this,
and that other message got posted twice. Sorry, jd]

> The crucial factor was not the steam engine, since water power was
> what drove the early textile factories, it was the invention of
> automatic, or in English self-acting, machinery of which the Mule was
> the most important example. The key factor here is that the sequencing
> of actions moves from the nervous system of the worker to the machine
> itself.

And one other thing on this -- the mule can only be considered an
extension of the nervous system in the most basic sense; it's basically
replicating the manual dexterity of the worker in the course of doing
rote repetitive tasks. The real extension of the nervous system wasn;t
possible until the application of electricity to production; and even
that could be considered rudimentary next to microprocessors, electronic
sensors, digitalization and networks where the role of the worker as
overseer, monitor, decision-maker etc. could be replaced.

 jd