[OPE-L:8591] Re: RE: Re: RE: France fried by U.S. Congress

From: rakeshb@stanford.edu
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 14:44:57 EST

The threats and insults made by Bush against Europe are much
less menacing than those directed against Mexico and, even more
perversely as Krugman pointed out in the NYT,
Mexican-Americans. This is truly a clash of barbarisms as Achcar
says in reply to Huntington.
Rakesh

Quoting mongiovg <mongiovg@stjohns.edu>:

> Pardon me for not appending the obligatory condemnation of
western
> hypocrisy
> and bougeois values. I foolishly assumed that those caveats
would not
> have to
> be rehearsed to members of this list; hence my "One need not
> romanticize the
> Atlantic alliance or its members ...."
>
> My point was that what's happening now isn't just your
standard-issue

<zarembka@buffalo.edu>
> =====
> >On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, mongiovg wrote:
> >
> >> This is mind-boggling, and, for me, as disturbing as any
recent
> >> development connected with the Iraq situation. One need not
be a
> >> romantic about the Atlantic alliance, or its members, to think
> that
> >> the Bush government's attempt to demonize France &
Germany to the
> >> American public is reckless and dangerous.  These countries
share
> >> commitment to values that are indispensable to global peace
and
> >> prosperity: democracy, human and civil rights, free speech,
rule
> of
> >> law--the whole Enlightenment thing.

> >Wow, this idealization of the French and German governments
is
> >unbelievable (and romantic).  Of course, the 'freedom' fries is
> also
> >unbelievable, but let's get just a shade critical and consider
> material
> >motives for these bourgeois countries' behaviors.  Paul

> >"Confronting 9-11, Ideologies of Race, and Eminent
Economists", Vol.
> 20
> >RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor,
Elsevier