Re: (OPE-L) Re: Marxism and the World Stage CFP

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 08:58:24 EST

Hi, Paul Z.  Thanks for the report on the conference.

> In general, the plenary sessions in my opinion were less useful than
> last time (e.g., Hardt of *Empire* fame didn't seem very knowledgeable
> about Marxism and made no reference to class that I heard; Wolff called
> for "revolution" but with no details).  Little time for audience
> reactions was available as the "stars" ran the clock (the chairs so
> permitting for the plenaries I got to); remember when interactions with
> audiences were mandatory and "stars" were not stars?  <snip>

A question (for anyone on the list): as educators we often (or do we?)
recognize the need for the implementation of progressive, innovative
and empowering pedagogy.  Yet, the form of scholarly conferences
(whether of traditional academic societies or of progressives and
Marxians) has remained very traditional.  Are there any radically
different ways of organizing in-person (i.e. non-on-line)conferences
that should be tried?

In solidarity, Jerry