Re: (OPE-L) New Dialectics and Critical Realism

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 18:52:44 EST

>Chris,
>
>If the 'new dialectics' is partly a criticism of the 'old dialectics', has
>any of its proponents taken under examination J.D. White, *Karl Marx and
>the Intellectual Origins of Dialectical Materialism*?  That book addresses
>precisely at least that part of the 'new dialectics' concern. The only
>attention I've seen to it is a review by Sayers, which led to my own reply
>in *Historical Materialism*, No. 8.  Neither considered any interface with
>'new dialectics'.
>
>Also, in my view, 'new dialectics' should confront the evidence for a
>declining influence of Hegel on Marx's thought, Althusser or no Althusser.
>
>Paul
 Dear Paul
I had an exchange with White. I attach my piece but I do not have an
electronic version of his reply.

I do not myself think there was a declining influence but a declining
visibility due to Marx's efforts at popularisation. But I accept this is a
vexed question. Note that I think systematic dialectic is a good idea
regardless of whether it fits Marx and in some cases I depart explicitly
from Marx.

Chris

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England