Re: (OPE-L) Historical Explanation and Systematic Dialectics

From: Michael Williams (michaelj.williams@TISCALI.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 06:27:55 EST

I have zero time, but ...

Andrew: "the
> analogy with a cell seems apt enough. It has stages of
> development through time - to grasp the system is to have
> some idea of the stages, and vice versa."
It is not any part of my (not I am pretty sure, Geert's) position to deny
the heuristic usefulness of concrete history. The point is only that it is
the moments of the system as it is at any point that are the necessary
determinants of that systems current dynamics. In a CJE article I once used
a metaphor that might appeal to Cap'n Jerry: History is like dead-reckoning
in ocean navigation: jolly useful in telling you how you got to where you
THINK you are. But to grasp where you are going it is necessary to get a fix
on where you are by reference to geographical or heavenly features: the
'fixed point of the system just so it still is THE system. Then we
dead-reckon again as we are buffeted by the storms of contingency. ("Events
dear boy, events", as conservative PM Harold Macmillan - I think - was
alleged to have said in response to aquestion about why the conservative
government's policy wasn't where they thought it was.)

Must run...

michael