Re: Rakesh's speculation on Venezuela

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 13:45:34 EDT

The referring to rent as devil's excrement is not my metaphor but an
old Venezuelan one, articulated by those worried as early as the
1930s about the dynamics of a rentier state. There is a history of
rentier states; there are structural reasons why they choke off
dynamic industrialism and the growth of the industrial working class
and breed corruption. There is no reason to believe that Chavez will
be able to escape those structures, however forceful his personality.

Sonntag and others have referred to the increasing authoritarianism
of the Chavez regime. To Paul Z: authoritarian is not a typology but
used here as a description of the dynamics of the state, i.e. the
state is becoming increasingly authoritarian.O'Donnel's typology of
state forms is often used. Even Ellner cites it and speaks to it.

And for those of you who claimed to be well informed on Venezuela, I
don't think your posts reveal it.

  Of what share of the profits that PDVSA plowed back into the
updating and diversification of the oil business that Chavez will now
claim for political buy offs I don't know. But not all surplus value
is for capitalist consumption, and it's not clear  that Chavez is
only attempting to seize that part that had been unproductively
consumed by the managerial class.

Even if the refineries abroad were buying other oil it does not mean
that they did not serve as a safety valve for Venezuelan oil and that
their serving as a safety valve for Venezuelan oil did not depend on
their being price competitive.

I don't think a lot of the oil bonanza is being spent on the poor as
revealed by the marginal improvements in the lot of the poor and in
the lot of increasingly vulnerable industrial workers. The belief has
been that Chavez has not been able to spend on the poor because of
the effects of the strike and the consumption of his time by fighting
other coup attempts. Yet even with those factors in mind, I don't
think his social accomplishments are impressive given the recent
flood of wealth. Again that assumes Sonntag is right. Which you have
not disputed. And his handling of the recent strike is not impressive
at all. To say the least.

Why not parse Sonntag's statement? No one is going to mock whether he
is knowledgeable about Venezuela.

I have no trouble recognizing that AFL-CIO is at best not supporting
true working class interests in Venezuela (say solidarity with the
steel workers) and probably in cahoots with those trying to
spear-head a racist, pro wealthy coup from within the CVA and that
the AFL CIO is an instrument by which the workers of the world have
been undermined (to use Beth Sims' old expression).  Kim Scipes had a
piece on this in Labor Notes, April 2004. I have criticized the AFL
CIO forcefully before by trying to convert the Seattle protests into
a mandate for a hyper nationalist campaign for the non application of
China to the WTO. I have followed Peter Rachleff in believing that
the new AFL CIO does not represent a great break from the old AFL CIA.

I think you will see that I have posted (here and on other list
serves) a great deal more on US imperialism or racist immigration
policy or American labor nationalism than Chavez's regime.

But Chavez is not Aristide even given the latter's problems. If we
want to talk about US imperialism, then perhaps we should turn to
Haiti. Peter Halward has a piece in the latest NLR which I have not
yet read.

Yours, Rakesh