Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 04:28:32 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: OPE-L [mailto:OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU] On Behalf Of Howard
Engelskirchen
Sent: 15 July 2004 11:41
To: OPE-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: Re: measurement of abstract labor

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your explanation.  Surely there is one additional point with
respect to state money -- because it is legal tender I can't tell
someone
who owes me money,   "no, I won't take your dollars; you have to give me
gold instead."  That is, I am obligated to accept paper currency in
payment
of debts, and this obligation rests on force.  Also, this relation,
which
generates the use of paper currency, rests on exchange and is
independent of
and in addition to tax debts.   You could have a situation where the
state
was fully able to support itself by exploiting some natural resource,
but
paper currency circulated as legal tender anyway.

I will think harder on your point about abstracting from the use of
gold.

Howard
I agree with that in principle. The Saudi state is
in that situation.