Re: (OPE-L) Specters of Derrida

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 01:02:17 EDT

Just to make it clear. For me Derrida is not an object of hatred. But I do
not admire him as a big thinker. He often makes difficult things less
clear, he is like a shaman, dancing and uttering words. Not  meaningless,
not without insight, and not very informative for those who are not
able/willing to get into the same kind of trance.

One example is:

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/fr/derrida2.htm

where he treats a well-known problem in Marxist economics, the relationship
of value and use value. But does Derrida really add somehting? Not in IMHO.

Read Rosdolsky in Kyklos (do not have the ref. in front of me) - that's
just worlds apart. Obscurity versus the hard labour of trying to through
light on a difficult problem. Not that I cannot follow Derridas dancing,
that I cannot extract some meaning out of it.

I guess I am in sympathy with the view that Derrida tries to communicate.
But to proclaim this word-stew as the greatest thinking in our time - then
you have lost your critical sense - and started shouting about how superb
the empror is dressed.

And this example from Spectres is sympathic to Derrida, there are several
other passages that are less intelligible, where the meaning of the shamans
words do not give very much sense, even to the positively tuned reader.

Derrida - rest in peace - you were on the right side of the barricade, but
you could have served the cause of human liberation - better with being
clearer and more penetrating.

Regards
Anders Ekeland