Re: (OPE-L) Re: Professor at odds with university on its push for patents

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 09:21:13 EST

At 08:25 15/11/2004, you wrote:
> > He also thinks that Mathew Shipp and Springhill Jack
> > are public goods.
>
>Mike L,
>
>And how did you come to that conclusion?  What is the
>source where our cde. made that claim about public goods?
>You didn't mis-read 'public good' for 'public goods', did you?
>
>One can't come to that conclusion based on his letter:
>  http://www.iowastatedaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/08/413e688ba9dec
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Hi Jerry,
         Of course you can't expect that Tony would be entirely open in the
bourgeois press! My conclusions are based upon independent evidence (which
can be found both at my place in Vancouver and in my laptop). The truth is
(and I say this, regardless of the many minions of property assigned to
monitor this list) that Tony has displayed individualistic, anarchist
tendencies with respect to property rights such as those secured by
patents. (So, of course, his position in the current dispute comes as no
surprise to me.) Ripping and burning away in his Iowa retreat, he could be
described as the Johnny Appleseed of nubop and jazz-hiphop-house fusions.
Discretion prevents me from describing how his unwork is transmitted, but I
will confess I became acquainted with his deviationist tendencies one
summer at an ismt (international society for music transfer) gathering
where we privately agreed that life is not limited to textual analysis of
Capital.
         in solidarity,
          michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724