Re: [OPE-L] Michio Morishima, 1923-2004

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 07:33:08 EST

I was just wondering: was _Marx's Economics_ the first attempt by
anyone in the English language to express the _whole_ of Marx's theory
of capitalism in the form of mathematical economics?  I also
wonder, though: was this attempted by others from Japan or elsewhere
beforehand?

The desire to formalize Marx's theory has a lot of proponents today,
many of whom are on this list.  Perhaps some of them were influenced
by Morishima (and others from Japan, like Okishio, who influenced
his understanding of Marx) even if they haven't recognized it.

In solidarity, Jerry

PS to Rieu:  there are some problems with the pdf file you sent: e.g.
the title and the beginning are chopped off and there are some graphs
missing.  But, thanks for the information on Okishio.  I hope someone
translates his last book.