Re: [OPE-L] Commentary on _Beyond Capital_

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 16:08:35 EDT

At 12:59 10/04/2005, Jerry wrote:

>There is no mention in the commentary of the 'other' _Beyond
>Capital_ -- the second edition of which received the 2004 Deutscher
>Prize.  More surprising still is that there is no mention in the 1995
>Meszaros _Beyond Capital_  (which, including the "Preface", is well over
>1,000 pages) of the 1992 first edition of Michael L's _Beyond  Capital_.

         Istvan and I have arm-wrestled over this-- especially over the
similarity of the titles; he says he worked for 20 years on his under that
title. Of course, the titles really are different (mine is  _Beyond
Capital_ ). Historical Materialism asked me to review his book, I think in
1993 or 1994), and I rashly agreed but only if he agreed to review my book.
Nothing ever came of it--- I think I got off easy.
         in solidarity,
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724