Re: [OPE-L] Why does the gold come forth?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 07:37:17 EDT

In thinking about  Paolo's question concerning the pace of gold
production don't we have to,  within the contemporary global
context, consider the demand for gold for jewelry, art,
decoration, etc.?   Doesn't the demand for _substitute_
uses of gold affect the pace of gold production?

Although this might seem to be exclusively related to luxury
goods demanded by the capitalist class, doesn't the working
class as well demand gold for non-monetary purposes?  It
wouldn't even surprise me of there are some list members who
are adorned with gold rings or jewelry ....

In solidarity, Jerry