Re: [OPE-L] Marx: In Our Time

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 12:48:40 EDT

>Subject: Re: [OPE-L] Marx: In Our Time
>From:    "Jurriaan Bendien" <adsl675281@tiscali.nl>
>Date:    Tue, July 19, 2005 9:48 pm
>
>The curious part is that Marx himself distanced himself from philosophical
>endeavours and at least in his mature years saw himself as somebody
>scientifically investigating modern society by means of a rational inquiry
>into the known facts. (The German Ideology: "one must leave philosophy
>aside... philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sexual love")

Jurriaan is quite wrong about Marx's view of philosophy: in 1858,
Marx said he wanted to get to write a piece on Hegel's method (which
Hegel discovered but mystified) if he could find the time and 10
years later: 'When I have cast off the burden of political economy, I
shall write a "Dialectic". The true laws of dialectics are already
contained in Hegel, though in a mystical form. What is needed is to
strip away this form....' Marx to Joseph Dietzgen, 9 May 1868. He
just had other things on his plate-- but separating them from
philosophy, too, is questionable.
         cheers,
         michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724