Re: [OPE-L] basics vs. non-basics

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 12:58:19 EDT

Is not R in Sraffa's theory the maximun rate of profit? If so, it is a ratio
or quotient between two "things" that must have some (physical) dimension.
For instance, in Marxian theory, the rates of profit and surplus value are
also quotients. They have no dimension but are the ratios of quantities of
labour or money (measured in hours or euros). So, the rate of profit is an
(maximum) eigenvalue as well, but this pure number is the quotient of two
units that are in fact the same "thing". But again: which is the physical
unit of the standard commodity? It must have one and I cannot conceive of
nothing different from labour.

Diego