Re: [OPE-L] Hegel's and Smith's historical materialism?

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 05:45:48 EDT

--- Andrew Brown <A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You seem to be saying that Smith was both
> materialist and historical but
> admitted he had the wrong history. Probably requires
> a bit of
> elaboration.
________________________
Andrew, Smith had a sense of what is "natural". That
did not mean that it was inevitable. In a similar
sense he also used the word "law", by which he did not
mean "natural law" as it is used in science. He meant
that though the law could be broken or not followed,
but if it is broken or not followed, then some adverse
effect follows-- something like if you break a
criminal law you go to prison and pay a price for it.
Similarly with natural development or
history--societies have a "natural course of
development but that does not mean that societies will
necessarily follow it. But when they don't follow it
then there are consequences to the welfare of the
societies. I think Chris has got Smith quite wrong.
Cheers, ajit sinha

http://mail.yahoo.com