[OPE-L] from Keith Tribe

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 09:16:52 EDT

Dear Rakesh Bhandari,

Thanks very much for your response.  I have no
objection to your circulating my comments to
anyone you think might be interested.

Attached a couple of pieces which might help you
understand where I am coming from - they are my
introduction to a special issue of Max Weber
Studies devoted to his Wirtschaftsgeschichte and
his interest in economic history, from which my
review of Takebayashi also comes.  This Beiheft
is currently completing copy-editing and will be
available electronically in the next month or so.

I appreciate that Marx's physical capacities were
failing in the 1870s, but I would suggest that
the problems I can see in the Zasulich drafts are
continuous with those in the first edition of
Capital and back to the Grundrisse, except they
are much, much worse.  A great deal of discussion
of Marx seeks to compensate for this rather than
recognize it for the patchwork that it in fact
is.  A brilliant patchwork, but a patchwork all
the same.  And the failure of Marx scholars to
properly situate Marx in his own context, to read
him as his contemporaries would have read him, to
read what Marx himself read and most importantly,
did not read, has dogged discussion of Marx's
work through the decades.

I can see what you mean with the letter you
attach, but I find the entire setup laborious and
limited.  Granted there are VII sections
enumerated, but it looks more or less like two
books to me.  Certainly Vols. II and III of
Capital are bulky books, but that is because
everything is included twice, more or less.  Vol.
II goes round and around a simple problem, and
Vol. III is certainly more interesting, but still
woolly and wordy.  Since we have these big books
I think there has been a tendency to think that
several more of similar detail and extent could
have been put together by Marx, if only he were
able, but the kind of outline sketched in this
1868 letter would all have fitted into another
volume rather shorter than the one published in
1867.  Marx wrote an extraordinary amount, but
much of it was repetition and variation, since
that was just the way he wrote and thought things
out.

In case you were wondering, I find modern
neo-Ricardians just as blinkered, so far as I am
concerned I am with Jevons - Smith's Wealth of
Nations was a brilliant work (heavily dependent
on French work, not simply the Physiocrats) which
the English Classicals derailed into arcane
arguments about value and distribution which lead
nowhere.  Ricardo's own detailed arguments about
value were superficially clear but internally
muddled, as Malthus pointed out.  Nobody took
them very seriously for very long.  My problem
with Marx is that he picks up on the worst bits
of Classical economics because it looks as though
they provide the key to understanding "the laws
of motion" of capitalism, a kind of internal
mechanism of value creation.  But this is a
mechanism which, to use Steuart's metaphor, is
like a clock which constantly goes wrong.
Capitalism is certainly a system which produces
both wealth and paradox, but this is not the way
to an understanding of it.  Max Weber was taught
all the English stuff by Knies but he was chiefly
influenced so far as economics goes by Menger's
students, Böhm-Bawerk, Wieser at al.  Although he
was critical of their construction of an abstract
"economic man", the GdS kicked off in 1914  with
Bücher on stages, Schumpeter on the history of
economics, and Wieser on the "new economics".
Coupled with a stunning capacity to conduct
detailed studies of agrarian labour relations,
property forms in the ancient economy, the forms
and functions of contemporary stock and commodity
markets, land tenure, labour relations, the
contemporary media - quite apart from all the
more well-known studies from which his
"sociology" was later constructed by others -
Weber's insights into modern politics, economics
and culture turned on the "problems of
capitalism" in a way that retains its originality
(though often misunderstood and inadequately
appreciated).

I agree that your summary of the Stedman Jones
position is mistaken, although I have not yet
read his newer work.  When I last talked to him
we were discussing the Communist Manifesto and he
seemed a little hazy on the provenance of the
translation they used for the Penguin edition.

Anyway, it is a bit of a change for me to think about Marx, these days!

Best wishes,

Keith