Re: [OPE-L] my short reply to Keith Tribe

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 09:56:56 EDT

Keith,

I disagree with Rakesh's reply to yourself.

J.D. White, THE INTELLECTUAL ORIGINS OF DIALECTICAL MATERIALISM (Macmillan,
1996) demonstrates that Marx himself found problems with his conceptions
surrounding the issue of capitalism as a closed, self-contained, system.
The problem came to the fore, partly in his reading in 1870 of Flevorsky's
CONDITION OF THE WORKING [PEASANT] CLASS IN RUSSIA, 1869, which he
considered the best after Engels' CONDITION OF THE WORKING CLASS IN
ENGLAND.  In other words, a conceptual problem never resolved blocked Marx.

Apart from White, Rosa Luxemburg also went a good way in drawing attention,
in her own way, to the problem.

White spends a lot of pages on the changing editions of CAPITAL, VOLUME 1,
a topic which seems to interest you.  White has been largely ignored,
unfortunately.

Paul

--On Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:17 AM -0700 Rakesh Bhandari
<bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:

> Marx used the excuse of new American and Russian materials
> not to prepare for publication the next three volumes because he was not
> happy about the reception
> of the first volume. He waited--as a good materialist--for the propitious
> economic
> conditions

THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11-2001, P.Zarembka, ed, Elsevier, 2006
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka/volume23.htm
                    -- "a benchmark in 9/11 research", reviewer