[OPE-L] Reading posts

From: ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 14:35:48 EDT

A general point:

One can not assume -- even if a member was subscribed to the list
at the time that a specific thread was discussed -- that each
subscriber is (or was) familiar with or remembers the contents of a
thread, including who said what.  Recall that each of us has other
commitments (political, professional, personal) and this means that many
subscribers pick and choose which threads to read.  Recall also, in this
context, that reading OPE-L posts can be time-consuming. Not to mention
that one would have to have an outstanding and extraordinary memory indeed
to recall the contents of the many thousands of threads which have been
initiated on this list. I suppose we'd like to believe that every
subscriber reads every post, but that is clearly a fallacy.

In solidarity, Jerry
North Cove on CT River