Re: [OPE-L] Complex ... and the French edition of capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 17:40:47 EDT

Anders writes:

>The similar, but far from identical passage in
>the English version (which is a rather - but not
>quite - straight forward translation of the 4th
>German Ed. (if I remember correctly)
>
>"We stated, on a previous page, that in the
>creation of surplus-value it does not in the
>least matter, whether the labour appropriated by
>the capitalist be simple unskilled labour of
>average quality or more complicated skilled
>labour. All labour of a higher or more
>complicated character than average labour is
>expenditure of labour-power of a more costly
>kind, labour-power whose production has cost
>more time and labour, and which therefore has a
>higher value, than unskilled or simple
>labour-power. This power being higher-value, its
>consumption is labour of a higher class, labour
>that creates in equal times proportionally
>higher values than unskilled labour does.
>Whatever difference in skill there may be
>between the labour of a spinner and that of a
>jeweller, the portion of his labour by which the
>jeweller merely replaces the value of his own
>labour-power, does not in any way differ in
>quality from the additional portion by which he
>creates surplus-value. In the making of
>jewellery, just as in spinning, the
>surplus-value results only from a quantitative
>excess of labour, from a lengthening-out of one
>and the same labour-process, in the one case, of
>the process of making jewels, in the other of
>the process of making yarn. [18]

In Exploring Marx's Capital Jacques Bidet argues
that Marx must posit that the jeweler creates in
equal times proportionately higher values to
maintain the assumption of a tendency towards the
equalization of the rate of surplus value.

It seems to me though that the rate of surplus
value may well be higher for some compound or
skilled labour and lower for others.

They  have likely absorbed substantial costs for
their own training which can is probably usually
obtained through non profit based educational
institutions (but this is changing) .  The
expenditure of this trained labor power then
creates more value as it embodies and releases in
its own laboring activity the labor time of
several other laborers. Which is seems to me why
Marx refers to it as compound labor, though I
don't see this simple point being made.    There
does not seem to be anything metaphysical about
such a description.

First note however  that this view is not
compatible with strong, bounded bourgeois notions
of the individual. Notions which are truly
metaphysical. Marx is leading us yet again to the
idea that the subject who is exploited is truly
the collective laborer. A conclusion which AD
Lindsay reached long ago.

But second what reasons do we have to believe
that wages will be such as to equalize the rate
of surplus value on compound labor with simple
labor?

>But on the other hand, in every process of
>creating value, the reduction of skilled labour
>to average social labour, e.g., one day of
>skilled to six days of unskilled labour, is
>unavoidable. [19] We therefore save ourselves a
>superfluous operation, and simplify our
>analysis, by the assumption, that the labour of
>the workman employed by the capitalist is
>unskilled average labour."
>
>The two main differences are
>
>a) that the "whose production has cost more time
>and labour"  is replaced by the much more
>general/vague "plus difficile the former" = more
>difficult to educate/make competent (in French
>"formation often have the meaning "education"

Bidet argues ironically that this evasiveness is
the source of the superiority of the French
edition.

Rakesh