Re: [OPE-L] Complex ... and the French edition of capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 05:01:05 EDT

The critical point here is the definition of socially necessary.
If one takes it to be the most productive hours, then the total
hours worked in the economy >  total socially
necessary labour time, since the average labour in any branch will
be less productive than the most productive.

I take the definition of socially necessary to be the amount of
labour of average productivity that would be required to produce
something. If one takes this definition then total concrete= total
abstract.

The main problem comes from the existence of differential ground rent.
If one defines the socially necessary labour to produce crops to be
the labour on the marginal land, then total concrete labour < total
socially necessary
labour.

This is an inherent weakness/ambiguity of the concept of socially
necessary
labour time when non-labour constraints on productivity become
significant.