Re: [OPE-L] More about exploitation

From: Michael Schauerte (mikeschauerte@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 - 20:46:33 EDT

I haven't followed the entire debate that has been going on about the
concept of exploitation very closely, but I would just like to say that if
we include every case where an individual or group of individuals profit at
the expense of others as "exploitation" we lose sight of the essential
theoretical question at issue: How are we to account for the genesis of
profit? Where does profit come from?

This is a question that economists long before Marx pondered, but most of
the answers arrived at did not get to the heart of the issue. And one
problem is that profit was simply explained as "profit upon alienation," the
old "buying low, and selling high." Marx pointed out what should be the
obvious fact that this view may very well account for the profit of certain
individuals, but it cannot account for the creation of profit, because one
person's gain is another person's loss.

The theory of exploitation succeeds in solving this riddle of how profit
emerges under capitalism, by locating the surplus in value created in
production over and above the value of the labor embodied in the means of
production, raw materials, and the wages of the workers (which is of course
payment for the "labor-power" commodity that they sell, and whose value is
determined by the value of the commodities, etc. consumed to reproduce that
capacity to labor). If, again, we lose sight of this theoretical task, and
just list up every case were a person is swindled by a smooth operator, we
will never unravel the mystery surrounding the phenomenon of profit.

My two cents...

Michael Schauerte