Re: [OPE-L] Cajo Brendel

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 23:34:18 EDT

Ah, but what of Kronstadt, a focus Brendel's critique in the forwarded
chapter?

Paul

--On Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:23 PM +0100 Paul Cockshott
<wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK> wrote:

> Jurrian
> --------
>
> The first Soviet government came out of a situation of war chaos, in
> which people were dying like flies, but people forget this, and get
> disappointed that a "pure workers state" corresponding to its true
> concept didn't arise. But if that is your reading of history, then I
> don't think you'll be much good at making history. In that case, you're
> in for a lot of disappointments, because real history just won't
> correspond to your concepts. It's so easy to allot praise and blame, long
> after critical events testing human beings to the maximum have happened,
> but really it gets in the way of understanding what objectively speaking
> was a success and what was a failure, and why that was. Then, despite the
> beauty of your idea, you don't learn much from history at all.
>

> Paul
> ----
> Bravo!
>
> that echoes Roosevelt:"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who
> points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could
> have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the
> arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives
> valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is
> no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great
> enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause;
> who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and
> who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly,
> so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew
> neither victory nor defeat."
>
> Paul Cockshott
>
> www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc

(Vol.23) THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11-2001  "a benchmark in 9/11 research"
(Vol.24) TRANSITIONS IN LATIN AMERICA AND IN POLAND AND SYRIA
         Research in Political Economy, P.Zarembka,ed, Elsevier hardback
********************* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka