Re: [OPE-L] Truncating Marx

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 16:54:08 EDT

> Okay I will say something as a layman, but I don't want to belabour this
> issue endlessly - as Fred says, best to stick to the substantive issues,
> and I as layman am not an expert on the transformation problem literature
> anyhow - but really I don't think it is primarily about dogmatism, but
> about orthodoxy.

Hi Jurriaan:

The issues of dogmatism and "orthodoxy" are substantive ones to the extent
that they - especially the former - express an orientation that one has to
the subject matter.

I don't think it's unfair to say that most Marxians thoughout the history
of Marxism have struggled with dogmatism, i.e. they have both struggled to
overcome dogmatism in their own perspectives and to confront dogmatism in
the perspectives of other Marxists.  Alongside the issue of dogmatism is
the issue of one's relation to the thought of Marx and other Marxist
"authorities": e.g. does one think theat we should be "defenders of Marx"
(quote from Kliman at mini-conference of IWGVT) or does one have a
*critical* perspective towards Marx's thought?   These _are_ issues of
substance!

In solidarity, Jerry