Re: [OPE-L] the annual rate of profit

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2007 - 10:31:59 EDT

Quoting glevy@PRATT.EDU:

> Hi Fred:
>
> What is the basis for your claim that the convention/assumption of an
> annual rate of profit is any more lor less plausible than that of a weekly
> rate of profit?
>
> It is true that modern capitalist corporations tend, in their accounting
> practices, to use the convention of a year.  This is done because of tax
> reporting requirements and to prepare annual reports for shareholders in
> preparation for annual meetings (also to comply with legal requirements).
> I think this is a very weak basis for insisting on keeping the convention
> of a year since:
>
> a) it is contingent upon *state* requirements. Yet, the analysis of the
> turnover of constant capital should begin before the state is introduced
> into the analysis, don't you think?
>
> b) corporate accounting practices concerning about how often they issue
> reports are similarly contingent and often specific to individual
> capitalist social formations (and often mandated by law).
>
> It is true that Marx's theory uses the convention of an annual period of
> production.  Yet, this is not a *reason* by itself for accepting that
> convention.
>
> In agriculture, it might make more sense to think in terms of a year than
> a week (hence the Physiocratic basis for the convention).  I don't see why
> we should accept this remnant of Physiocratic thought. (btw, I wish to
> thank Paul C for making me see this point.)
>
> To insist on the assumption of an annual rate of profit, given the above,
> seems to me to be fetishizing a 'year' as a time period.

Hi Jerry,

The annual rate of profit has been the standard reference rate of
profit for capitalist enterprises for as long as capitalism has
existed, including before state requirements.  The annual rate of
profit is the rate of profit that capitalists use to compare rates of
profit across industries in their investment allocation decisions, and
thus is the rate of profit that is equalized across industries by
competition and the transfer of capitals.  So the annual rate of profit
is the rate of profit that theory should explain.

So how is the annual rate of profit determined?  We have two theories:

MARX:  the annual rate of profit is determined by the ratio of the
total surplus-value produced in the economy as a whole during a year to
the total capital invested in that year.  The total annual
surplus-value is determined by the total annual surplus labor and the
total capital invested is taken as given.

SRAFFA: the annual rate of profit is not determined directly by the
Sraffian system of equations.  Instead, the rate of profit that is
determined by the Sraffian system of equations is for a very short
period of time – the shortest turnover period in all industries in the
economy as a whole (e.g. a “week”).  This theory assumes that this
“weekly” rate of profit that is equalized across industries by
competition and the transfer of capitals.  But I think that is
ludicrous.

Ian H. has suggested that the annual rate of profit could be derived
from the “weekly” rate of profit by compounding.  But there is no real
“weekly” rate of profit, and no real compounding of these fictitious
“weekly” profits.  Real compounding takes place by reinvesting profit
received.  But in most actual turnover periods, no profit is actually
received in a “week”, and no profit can be reinvested and compounded
each week until the end of the actual turnover period.

Finally, even if the standard reference rate of profit were changed to
a different period, to say a half-year, or a quarter, or perhaps more
than a year, Marx’s theory would have no problem explaining this that
particular rate of profit.  The numerator would just become the total
profit produced over that different period, rather than over a year.

But the new standard reference rate of profit would not likely be the
Sraffian “week” (the shortest turnover period in the economy), and thus
Sraffian theory would still not be able to explain this new standard
rate of profit, but only its “weekly” rate of profit.

Comradely,
Fred