Re: [OPE-L] Incoherence of the TSSI

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 14:16:09 EDT

> So I think that, rather than being completely dismissive of the work of
> other scholars, you might as well appreciate the perfectly valid points
> they make, and just note, that there are areas of agreement and areas of
> diagreement with your own interpretation.

Hi Jurriaan:

It's not that I am being "completely dismissive" of their work, it's that
I don't see any "perfectly valid points" which they have made.  I think
that they have made suggestions about the importance of dynamics /
disequilibrium which are valid but these points were made long before the
TSSI ever entered the picture (I remember them being made by various
people in the late '70's and early '80s at the New School) and they
haven't moved those "points" forward because they have locked themselves
into interpreting Marx and defending him from the "myth of internal
inconsistency" rather than analysing capitalist realities: this is a
prison of their own making.  Moreover, the Holy Grail-like Quest to
"Reclaim Marx" has been a bottleneck which has _gotten in the way_ of
_actually_ developing Marxian theory in dynamic directions.

> I have attacked Andrew Kliman
> strongly, only because he started to hack into articles by myself and
> David Laibman in a totally unacceptable way, but that is more a question
> of integrity. Marxists, although they may be very bright, are often
> annoying people, that is the way it is. Could one expect otherwise from
> people who rebel against the status quo?

I think that Marxists also should have a sense of integrity!

They ask for others to consider in fairness their perspectives.  But, do
they return the favor?  I don't consider Kliman's critique of the
empirical work of Cockshott and Cottrell to be a shining example of being
fair to the perspectives of others with whom they disagree.  Other
examples abound -- and the same point was made in the conclusion of the
note by Simon and Roberto V.

In solidarity, Jerry