Re: [OPE-L] (new journal) New Global Studies

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 14:42:31 EST

>Notice that economics is not included in the list of disciplines that might
>be relevant to "today's globalizing process"!  Isn't that
>fascinating?

Hi David:

Thanks for picking up on that.  I had noticed it as well.  It is
indeed - as you say - odd for an "interdisciplinary" journal
(on globalization of all things!) not to include economics.
I do not think, though, that this omission was accidental:
rather, it reflects a perspective among some academics in
the anti-globalization movement.    In an effort not to
crudely reduce globalization to its economic aspects alone,
they have adoped an equally one-sided but opposing
perspective.  I agree that crude political economy can
result.

In solidarity, Jerry