Re: [OPE-L] Imperialism in our century

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 06:52:07 EST

I have reservations about Lenins analysis myself and have not read Bukharin, but I think that in terms of getting the main thrust of political and economic development for the first half of the century he was right.
I would agree that there needs to be a proper anlysis of foreign trade and capital movements , which lenins work lacked, but that did not stop it being accurate in its analysis of the aims of the main imperial powers.

In the current conjucture, the article by Cerni raises isssues as to whether there is likely to be conflict between the USA as a declining power and China. It is unfair to say that you knew all this 20 years ago. 20 years ago the USA had not seen the sharp fall in manufacturing and the sharp rise in Chinese imports that it now has. Paula Cerni rightly lays emphasis on the unproductive character of much of the US economy and it dependence on productive labor perfomed overseas. This is much more marked than it was 20 years ago.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow
+44 141 330 3125