RE: [OPE] Power

From: clyder@gn.apc.org
Date: Sat Feb 16 2008 - 10:34:07 EST

Gerry,
I agree that there will be some health effects from dispersion of
radioactivity, and that these will impact on general populations.
But exactly the same applies on a much larger scale to fossil
fuel use.

In in 1952, the great London smog, caused largely by an inversion
which trapped fumes from the coal fired battersea power station
killed 1500 Londoners in a week.

The resulting Clean Air Act, meant that power station chimneys
were built higher. The sulfur dioxide emissions then altered
the cloud pattterns over northern Europe, and in due course
this disrupted the rainfall over the Sahel, resulting in
the Ethiopian Famines, which put millions of lives in jeapardy.

I dont think you fully appreciate the gravity of trying to
reduce fossil fuel use by say 90%. Efficiency savings might
amount for 20% if you are lucky. How do you suggest the transport
system is going to work, how are you going to generate all of
the extra electricity that is going to be needed?

Think Marxist indeed, but think what this implies for the overall
reproduction process. It represents a general rise in the value of
energy since the lower labour means of producing it -- oil, is ruled
out. Classical theory tells us that this will lead to a fall in relative
surplus value, but there are also the arguments of Machover, backed
up by a lot of empirical observation, that over the long term the
rate of surplus value tends to be in the order of 100%, so this implies
that a rise in the value of energy will imply a fall in general living
standards -- since not all the hit will be taken by profits.

This will be true until repeated production of the new powerstations --
nuclear and solar, lead to better construction techniques, better
experience in use etc, bringing down the labour content.
value