Re: [OPE] Paul Krugman wins Nobel

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 16:12:04 EDT

on 2008-10-13 21:02 Gary Mongiovi wrote:
> ... tomorrow my students are going to ask me what I think about Krugman & the Nobel award. I agree with Jerry's initial remark that New Trade Theory isn't really new, and isn't substantial enough to merit a Nobel. Krugman's work on economic geography also strikes me as the typical economist's exercise in translating common sense into technical jargon. But I'm neither a trade theorist nor an economic geographer, so I'd really be interested to know what more expert people on the list think of the work tha got Krugman the prize.

I haven't read Krugman's academic writing so I can't say much. However,
you might want to point out to your students that the "Nobel Prize in
Economics" is really not a Nobel prize but an additional prize given by
the Swedish central bank.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_prize_economics#Controversies_and_criticisms>

//Dave Z