SV: [OPE] Marta Harnecker's Ideas

From: Anders Ekeland <aekeland@online.no>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 04:01:40 EST

Hi Howard,

> I'll comment on two things in your interesting post. First, I don't think
> factions are a good idea in any form of democratic life. People ought to
> put their ideas out on the table openly and struggle openly for them to
> prevail.

But how do you square this with the fact that the Russian Soc.Dem party its main factions, the Bolsheviks and Mansheviks faction were a very creative political milieu? I cannot argue at length here but Paul LeBlanc book on Lenin and the rev. party, Macel Linden, Leninism under Lenin, Victor Serges writings, Trotskys "Rev. Betrayd" all point to the *ban* on factions as the beginning of the end.

In the Bolshevik party factions did put their ideas openly - that was the whole meaning of allowing factions - to avoid cliques - or secret, undecleared factions. The latter exists in all parties, decleared factions only in revolutionary parties like the B-viks - to simplify history a bit, but roughly correct.

Regarding in the non-correspondence between representants (those elected to offices) and the represented (voters, members) that is old hat in the sense that the right to form factions, internal bulletins, right to recall - in fact most of organisational theory is concerned with this problem - that the "necessary" division of labour creates "information" and "incentive" problems.

That is why the right to form tendencies and factions - hated by all kind of authoritarian thinking - is such an important principle of rev. organisation. It sucks of course - but it beats all the alternatives hands down.

Regards
Anders

Gathering with others more or less behind the scenes pretty much