RE: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Sat Jan 16 2010 - 11:58:29 EST

> The problem is not *if* they can be drawn, but that they *are* drawn by
> the so-called 'Third Worldists',

Hi Dave Z:

Again, this cuts both ways: the same arguments about the end of imperialism can/have been used by the Neo-Liberals/ pro-globalizers on the Right _and_ by social democrats on the Left to further their own agendas.

So, I - frankly - don't see your point. As for Paul B's point about how
one (and here I paraphrase) can't take the political out of political economy, that's - of course - true but besides the point - at least in terms of the point I had made. The problem with attempting to draw out the political "implications" of a contrary Marxian perspective is that it has almost always distorted the positions of the 'other' and thus ended up critiquing a position quite different from the one advanced. It's the way in which Marxians so frequently engage in "straw man" type arguments and that, imo, is both a bad practice and (at best) a waste of time.