[OPE-L:1750] Re: question of subjectivity

Paul Cockshott (wpc@cs.strath.ac.uk)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:12:33 -0700

>Massimo wrote in #1738:
>
>> First, in the last 100 years readers of Marx's
>> capital have concentrated especially on this capitalist subjectivity,
>> in such a way that today everyt " tendency " IS understood as capital's
>> subjectivity, while working class subjectivity is confined at most
>> to the realm of countertendency. <snip>
>> Thus in this light, to bring up the issue of working class subjectivity
>> at the very least represents a counterweight to the opposite
>> attitude.

Paul C
------
It is not clear to me that a discussion of subjectivity has any place at
all in scientific political economy nor, for that matter in any science.
As far as I am aware it was not discussed by Marx in Capital. There
may be some place in Marxist theory of jurisprudence for an analysis
of the category 'sub ject of right', but this is not the same as the
notion of the subject that was present in the old idealist philosophies.