[OPE-L:3080] RE: assumptions, assumptions, assumptions

Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Gerald Levy wrote:

> When v = 0, s/v becomes reduced to the simple identity of s/0.
> How is this a meaningful statement (or "instructive", to use Allin's
> phrase in #3077)?

I agree with Jerry's substantive point, namely that assuming v = 0
is tantamount to assuming away capitalist relations of production.
But still, seeing what happens when certain quantities approach
their limits can be instructive. Agreed, s/0 is not a rational
expression, but I have long thought that it would be better to
express the rate of surplus value as s/(s+v), the fraction of the
working day appropriated by capital. In that light, the
question is whether anything useful can be derived by thinking
about the case where s/(s+v) tends towards unity.

Allin.