[OPE-L:1167] Re: Re: Unproductive labour income and Marxian social accounts

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 02:27:52 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:

> [...]
> >changes. This problem does not arise in the neoclassical economics because
> >it is
> >working within a different problematic. Marx, in my opinion, is working
> >within a
> >problematic of exploitation and surplus production. One has to, in this case,
> >develop an understanding of why a theory of value is needed within this
> >problematic
> >and what is the nature of the problem.
>
> I would agree with your general characterization of the Ricardian,
> neo-classical and
> Marxian problematic. Within this context, I think that the Sraffian
> problematic is the
> same as your characterization of the Marxian one.
>
> However, I think that there are nuances to the Marxian problematic at the time
> that he worked on the Introduction to the Critique, and Capital that are
> not fully
> brought out in a bald statement that he was interested in exploitation and
> surplus
> production.
>
> I would place this interest firmly within the context of his general
> historical materialist
> problematic which antedated his specific study of capitalism. This gave
> Marx a historical
> viewpoint in which capitalist surplus production is just one of a
> historical sequence of
> modes of producing a surplus. His problem then was to explain how certain
> invariants
> of all society - the distribution of social labour between different
> activities, and invariants
> of class society - the production of a surplus and its appropriation by an
> exploiting
> class, operated in a capitalist economy. In this context his
> conceptualisation of value
> has a hierarchy of concepts moving from the most historically abstract and
> general
> to the most historically concrete.
>
> The concepts of social labour and of abstract social labour belong to the
> general
> problematic of historical materialism. As a single scalar quantity which
> exists in multiple
> modes of production these provide the necessary precondition for the
> existence of
> generalised exchange value in the universal equivalent form. I take his
> analysis of
> the form of value to be looking at the mode of representation of abstract
> social labour
> in a commodity producing society.
>
> Thus the term 'value' is used by him both to denote embodied labour - an
> concept
> applicable to multiple modes of production - and the abstract scalar
> exchange valuation
> of a commodity; abstract here in the sense of abstracting from the labour
> content of the commodity
> used as a universal equivalent. If we take the latter meaning it is

____________________

I agree with a lot you say here but some I'm not very clear about. The way i see it
is that there are two issues Marx's value theory is concerned with. One is the
social division of labor, and the other is the production of surplus. The
contribution to the Critique and the 1st chapter of *Capital* vol.1 are concerned
with the problem of value in the context of a social division of labor in a
commodity producing economy. Here the *law of value* and the determination of value
are supposed to solve the problem of the distribution of total labor. But this
problematic gets in conflict with the surplus production problematic because the
division of labor problematic must begin with a notion of *given* total amount of
labor that needs to be distributed, whereas the surplus problematic is about the
determination of the total amount of labor itself--so it cannot be taken as
*given*. Now, if we begin with the surplus problematic then the rationale for value
and a theory of value arises because the surplus itself cannot be measured in any
particular sector without reducing all commodities to one dimension. Thus a theory
of value thrust itself as a solution to the determination of the surplus. This is
why, I think, Marx says that surplus production must take a value-form in a
capitalist system. Cheers, ajit sinha