[OPE-L:1641] Re: Re: Re: Re: technical change and real wages

Subject: [OPE-L:1641] Re: Re: Re: Re: technical change and real wages
From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 21:19:59 EST

At 04:52 PM 11/2/1999 +0530, Ajit wrote:

>But Mike, you are assuming that money wages remain constant when the
prices of wage
>goods fall. But this assumption is what i'm questioning.

        Why?

 Why cannot a technical change
>be associated with either a fall in money wages such that the real wages
remain
>constant or a general monetary inflation, which keeps the real wages
constant at the
>given money wages?

        As I had suggested in ope-l #1628, first we should clarify the case where
productivity increases drop from the sky--- ie., there is no displacement
of workers. So, in this case, why exactly do you think money wages can not
be assumed constant when the money prices of wage goods fall?

        in solidarity,
          mike
Michael A. Lebowitz
Economics Department