[OPE-L:1733] Re: value-form theories

Subject: [OPE-L:1733] Re: value-form theories
From: Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 08:18:08 EST

Re Fred's [OPE-L:1732]:

> <snip> Profit is a quantitative magnitude: the increment of
> money that emerges at the end of the circulation of capital. The
> question is: what determines this magnitude?

Perhaps R/W understand the concept of *magnitude*, as a component part of
a theory, somewhat differently than you do. In this connection, the
order of the subject of "magnitude" in Hegel's _Science of Logic_ is
noteworthy.

In Book One on "The Doctrine of Being", "magnitude (quantity)" is
developed in Section 2 and is preceded in Section 1 by "determinateness
(quality)" and followed by Section 3 on "measure". I note this now
because Andy and Nicky have stressed the role of Hegel's "Doctrine of
Essence" in value-form theories. Within the framework of the _Science of
Logic_, the "Doctrine of Essence" immediately follows the "Doctrine of
Being" (the "Doctrine of Being" and the "Doctrine of Essence" together
constitute Volume 1 of the _Science of Logic_ on "The Objective Logic";
Volume 2 concerns "Subjective Logic or the Doctrine of the Notion").

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

In solidarity, Jerry